Multi-Lane Free-Flow (MLFF) is a revolutionary tolling system that enables seamless toll collection without requiring vehicles to stop at toll booths. Using cutting-edge technology such as passive RFID and ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), MLFF allows vehicles to pass through tolling points at highway speeds, offering a smoother and more efficient tolling experience.
Why is MLFF essential in India?
Efficient toll collection systems are vital for India’s transportation infrastructure in the face of rapid economic growth and urbanization. The MLFF system is crucial in optimizing toll collection, reducing travel time, enhancing overall road safety, alleviating congestion and improving highway traffic flow.
How is MLFF better than the Passive RFID-based FASTag System?
MLFF is a superior alternative to the passive RFID-based FASTag system. Unlike FASTag, which requires vehicles to slow down or stop at toll booths, MLFF allows vehicles to pass through tolling points at highway speeds without causing any disruptions to traffic flow. With MLFF, travellers can enjoy a seamless travel experience as there is no need for physical toll booths, and the chances of toll evasion are significantly reduced.
How MLFF Works?
The MLFF system uses passive RFID and ANPR technologies to recognize and toll vehicles immediately. When a vehicle nears the MLFF gantry, its FASTag and number plate are automatically scanned. The toll is processed electronically, and the correct amount is deducted from the vehicle owner’s prepaid account. This streamlined method helps keep traffic moving smoothly and minimizes delays for commuters.
Pilot Trial by Metro
Get a glimpse of the future of tolling with our MLFF tolling pilot trial conducted successfully on the Delhi-Chandigarh national highway. Collaborating with FETC and IHMCL, Metro Infrasys showcased the power of MLFF through a comprehensive design, build, and operate approach.
Key Highlights of the Pilot Trial
- 06 MLFF Gantries: Witness state-of-the-art gantries strategically placed for seamless toll collection.
- 06 Lanes Road: Enhance traffic flow with efficient and hassle-free toll management.
- 03 Months: The trial showcased exceptional performance over this period.
- Pilot Project Stretch: Delhi-Chandigarh Highway – National Highway (NH) 44
- The strategically installed gantries at Panipat, Karnal, Nilokheri, Kurukshetra, Shahbad, And Ambala created a comprehensive coverage of approximately 120 km between Ambala and Panipat on National Highway 44 of India.
MLFF & GNSS-based Tolling
- The future of toll collection holds great promise with the integration of Multi-Lane Free-Flow (MLFF) and GNSS-based tolling technologies. MLFF, already a part of a successful pilot trial conducted by Metro Infrasys on the Delhi-Chandigarh national highway, offers a seamless tolling experience by allowing vehicles equipped with MLFF-enabled FASTags to pass through tolling points without stopping or slowing down.
- When combined with GNSS-based tolling, which relies on satellite positioning for accurate vehicle identification, MLFF becomes even more efficient and reliable. Integrating these technologies ensures enhanced accuracy in toll collection, reduced toll evasion, and increased flexibility in toll collection methods.
- Moreover, the combination of MLFF and GNSS-based tolling reduces the need for physical toll booths and associated infrastructure, leading to cost savings and improved traffic flow. This future-oriented approach also allows for nationwide interoperability, paving the way for a unified and seamless tolling experience across different regions and highway networks.
- With MLFF and GNSS-based tolling working together, Metro Infrasys envisions a modern and technology-driven toll collection ecosystem that benefits commuters and the transportation infrastructure.